Questions about Language Classes

Frequently Asked Questions for LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) & ESL (English as a Second Language) Adult non-credit Programs

Can I register for classes now?

I am a Visitor to Canada and/or I am on a Study Permit, and I want to join an English class.  Can I attend?

  • NO. Our classes are only available to newcomers who meet the eligibility for LINC or ESL classes. 
  • We are unable to provide classes for you.  Contact a local College for information about classes for International students.
  • Visit for more information

If I attended classes in Ajax or Whitby in the past, do I need to register for the Fall 2024 classes?

  • Yes, all students who want to join a class for the 2024-2025 school year must register online.  Check our registration page for information. 
  • Visit our information page 

I want to join a LINC/ESL class, but I need a language assessment or to be retested.  How can I schedule a Language Assessment Test?

  • Call the Assessment Centre directly at 1 855-330-8655 or email  for information on scheduling an assessment. 

I was in your LINC/ESL program in the past and I want to join language classes again. What should I do?

  • Call the Assessment Centre directly at 1 855-330-8655 or email to check that your previous assessment is still valid. 
    • If the answer is YES and your assessment is valid, you can register for classes.
  • If your assessment is NO longer valid you will need to schedule a new language assessment.

Is childcare available while I attend school?

  • Care for Newcomer Children is available from September to June, for those who qualify and is dependent on availability at each location.
  • No childcare is available for online classes.

How can I get a copy of my Proof of Language Proficiency certificate?

  • If you were a previous student at DCDSB LINC or ESL classes and you successfully completed a course and progressed in a CLB level, please email us at for more information on how to receive a copy of your certificate.
  • Our program follows PBLA Guidelines for issuing certificates.

I want to apply for Canadian Citizenship and need Proof of Language Proficiency.  How can I get that?

  • Our programs offer proof of language proficiency to students who completed a course and progressed to the next CLB level, in accordance with PBLA Guidelines.  If you do not meet this criteria you will not be issued a certificate.  There are other approved "proofs" available for the Citizenship Application and you should check with the website for more information.

Do you offer services in French?

Pour des services d’établissement en français, veuillez contacter:

Pour la formation linguistique en français, veuillez contacter:

Do you offer a Citizenship Preparation Class?

  • No we do not offer Citizenship Preparation Classes. 
  • These websites can help you prepare for the Citizenship Test on your own:

Discover Canada Study Guide                  Toronto Public Library                     Richmond Public Library

At Archbishop Anthony Meagher Catholic Continuing Education Centre, we offer a wide variety of programs throughout Durham Region for students of all ages who may be interested in learning an additional language or are new to the country and require language and citizenship preparation assistance

Our programs range from:

RCT - Renewed Computer Technology

The RCT program provides low income individuals with affordable ownership of quality renewed computers.  To find out if you qualify and to apply for a desktop computer, please visit the RCTech OUTREACH website.

For help with your application, please call the RCT office at 1-866-206-0008